sometimes.
RAR. Had seven hours of lab today- org lab is srsly insane. Bumped into Ada and she wished me luck, because its the second expt and apparently everyone said it was going to end at 6pm, meaning 8hours of lab and NO BREAK. Which srsly stressed me up quite abit.
1000- Reached lab and as usual had to wear PPE before taking attendance and crossing the line. HAIH it was so hot, why didnt it rain today. crazy weather.
1030- Washing of equipments and preparing the reaction work-up.
1100- Start reaction running, with my CARCINOGENIC pdt from expt 1 and some other stuff and catalyst which melted at an amazing rate on the paper that I dont even know if it ended up w the other reagents in the RBF. HAIH.
1115- Remove from icebath and did my first TLC(tender loving care! yeah right) plate for the reaction mixture. HURR no pdts at all.
1145- Did second TLC and got faint pdts appearing.
1230- DIY column chromatography- OMG its super coool. Its like you add cotton wool first into the column, then add hexane and srsly we add hexane like its FREE. HURR apparently chiakeat says its carcinogenic:x HURR we're dead.): cos it has low BP, means it evaporates like free tooo.HURR. OKAY back to the column, then we add SAND, silicagel(super cool stuff) then pack it by using the airpump(: Then another layer of sand and add more hexane. The silicagel is superrr coool lah, it hardens super fast if not taken care of. HURR
1245- This is too good to be true, everything went well, my column was made perfectly to function for the purification process later. S
1345- Did third TLC, pdts appeared but the starting materials(sm) were still present. HURR except for chiakeat which put so much catalyst had his rxn into completion.
1350- Went for LUNCH, OMG WE ACTUALLY HAD TIME FOR LUNCH BREAK LAHH.(((((:
1415- Everything still sounds too good to be true.
1425- Did fourth TLC and pdts appeared is significantly darker than sm's. SO YAY, time for separatory process(extraction).
SHIT HAPPENED- I was such a dumbass, I forgot to close the separtory funnel, and poured my CARCINOGENIC rxn mixture into the funnel which all flowed out.))): And cos I was so shagged from the above procedure, I only realised it when I had little rxn mixture left in my RBF lahh.
I AM SRSLY STUPID LAHH.))))): Then I told the TA, then he was O.O and I was -.- do I have to redo tmr since its alr 1425!!))): HENG HE SAVED MY DAY, he was EH alter the amt of stuff to put in and redo your rxn mixture now then you'll finish by five plus-.-
Yup shit happens. I was srsly super sian about it, the feeling is srsly NOT FRESH lahh.): and the stuff spilt all onto the hotplate thing, HURR and me inhaling all the fumes, I srsly think org lab has robbed me a few years of my life): HAIH. But srsly lab-pro me isn't up to standard this sem): I dunno whyyy. This srsly sucks laah and my fingers were smelly till like just w the chemicals and stuff HAIH.And everything cant be washed into the sink, all had to be thrown into non-chlorinated waste bin then washed w acetone HAIH. smelllllly.):
BUT HEY I re-did the whole steps as written above w TLC(srsly TENDER LOVING CARE) and yup the reaction was completed in 45 mins lahhh(: okay thanks to the TA and his (: concentration and amounts to add, making the eqb entering completion in a faster rate(: WOOHOO. It was then I sped up and the lab-pro-ness sort of came back at the end of the lab. I managed to catch up with the rest lahh. So in the end chiakeat and I still shared the eluant and made the concoction together for our column(: WOOHOO. And we all ended at the same time lahh.(((: We actually ended at four plus, including LUNCH break can. HURR, though in actual fact I only started my lab at 1425. HAIH.
And the day still didnt end just yet, only to complete w a six to nine lecture. HAIH.
Oh well, to quote uncle mike: dont worry, shit happens.(:
But it only boils down to how we deal with the shit.
And thank God, that everything still went well, in the end.
OH lulu: yesyesyes I am going taiwannnnn(:(:(: